RU486 mainly recommended for terminating the early pregnancy and Cushing syndrome. Mifepristone is a vital constituent accessible in the RU486. Mifepristone is a synthetic steroid with Anti-progesterone activity. Progesterone hormone prepares the uterus to obtain and continue the fertilized egg and mainly helps in sustaining the pregnancy in females. Mifepristone inhibits the activity of Progesterone hormone and stimulate the contraction of the uterus and eliminate the fetus.
Therapeutic indication of RU-486
- It is used in combination with Misoprostol for the end of pregnancy up to 9 weeks (63 days) of gestation.
- RU-486 is also used to treat Cushing syndrome in females.
- On the first day- You should get the 3 tablets (600 mg) of Mifepristone are taken as a single dose. It should be taken as orally with a full glass of water.
- On the third day- If you are still pregnant, you should get the 2 tablets of Misoprostol.
- On the 14th day, go to the nearest hospital and strive for the ultrasound to confirm the end of pregnancy.
- For the treatment of Cushing syndrome- The initial prescribed dose of RU-486 is 300 mg daily. The dose of RU- 486 may be increased up to 1200 mg daily
Undesirable effects of RU-486
Common adverse effects occur while using RU-486
- Feeling of nausea
- Mild abdomen pain
- Mild pain in pelvic region
- Back pain
- Feeling of dizziness
- Feeling of sickness
Severe side effects happen while taking RU-486
- Severe and prolonged bleeding
- Severe headache
- Difficulty in sleep (insomnia)
RU-486 and other drug interactions
- Corticosteroids such as Dexamethasone and Prednisone
- Antibiotics like Azithromycin, Clarithromycin and Erythromycin
- Anticonvulsant drugs such as Phenytoin, Carbamazepine and Phenobarbital
- Antifungal medications like Ketoconazole, Itraconazole and Fluconazole
Who should not consume RU-486?
- In case of the female is hypersensitive to Mifepristone and any other therapeutic agents of RU-486.
- If the woman is suffering from kidney, liver and any heart disease.
- If you are already using Intrauterine devices (IUD’s).
- If you had a history of Anemia and hemorrhage.
- RU-486 is contraindicated in the instance of ectopic pregnancy.
- If the woman is suffering from any blood disorder like Porphyria.
- If you have chronic adrenal failure.
- If you are already consuming Anticoagulant medications such as Warfarin, Heparin and Coumadin.
- If the patient already taking any Corticosteroids like Dexamethasone and Prednisone.
What should I avoid while using RU-486?
- Avoid driving and hard work which requires lots of attention because Mifepristone cause a feeling of drowsiness.
- Escape the use of alcohol while using RU-486.
- Avoid the use of RU-486 in the case of breastfeeding.
- If you are not sure about your pregnancy, so don’t use RU-486.
- Don’t use any non-prescription medication, herbal medicine, vitamins and nutritional supplements while taking RU-486.
- Ty to ignore the use of grapes and grapefruit juice while taking Mifepristone.
Appropriate way to store RU-486
- RU-486 tablets should be kept under the room temperature 300 C.
- It should be stored away from the direct contact of heat, sunlight and moisture.
- Keep this medication away from the reach and sight of the kids.
What to do in case of missed doses of RU-486?
If you skip a dose of RU-486, immediately consult your gynecologist and get some advice.
What to do in case of overdose of RU-486?
Avoid the overdose of RU-486 because an overdose of RU-486 may be fatal.
In case of overdose of RU-486, instantly consult your physician and get some medical help.
Symptom of overdose of RU-486 is severe or prolonged bleeding.
|Generic||RU486 - Mifepristone|
|Strength||RU486 - Mifepristone|